Thursday, July 25, 2013

More Pattern-Free

In preparation for this Saturday's Pattern-Free Garment class, I've been throwing fabric about the studio and poncing about in front of the camera again. 
 
I've been trying to make a few shapes that suit figures other than pixie-size. 
 

 If I were over 5'2'' and a bit broader or curvier... can you picture the statuesque vision of understated, carefree style that I'd be...?

 
Pattern-Free being what it is.. this garment is still a work-in-progress. As soon as it finishes its job of inspiring and educating the class participants, I have plans to fit this one to my own shape and style.  A spot of hacking and slashing, and a bit of a tie, and it will be pixie-size and generally more me.
 
 
(And yes - I remade the double-sided-knit  pattern-free-toga-dress-that-didn't-work into a pattern-free tube skirt, and I love it.)
 
 
It is very, very easy to lose me in a big pile of fabric.... 
 
 
..but pattern-free is all about whittling things down (cut off the bits that don't look like a skirt...) to adapt to any shape.  I like minimalist. 


This one looks fine on me if I wave my arms around like this...

 
..and I'm lost in fabric like this...

 
But if I were taller or curvier, I think it'd be fab.

 
I also made some other wrap tops and jackets and a tunic, and there are plans for more tomorrow (if I don't spend too long at the craft show), but this is getting a bit image-heavy here to show them all.
 
And what of the top part of the didn't-work-toga-dress...?  I made a top, and flipped the inside print to the outside on the back.

 
From the back, it looks like a skirt and top and from the front it looks like a dress.  (Yes, with serious body-reference... and I know that not everyone wants that in a garment... but this one is for me to wear.)

 
 
I'm teaching a 4-day workshop in pattern-free garments at Grampians Texture in February next year, and planning to work through lots of different starting points for tops, jackets, vests, skirts, dresses and tunics.  We'll have loads of fun as we fit and flatter with draping, shaping, pleats, darts and shirring....  I think the 4-day format will really allow people to explore the possibilities and gain confidence to go forth and make a unique and fabulous new wardrobe.
 
On Saturday, I'm going to ask the class (nicely) if I can take some photos to show how this stuff can work on a wide range of body shapes. 
 

7 comments:

Annie said...

All looks great Nic...especially the little pixiE model. I'm off to the fair on Sat.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

you with the swanning and the pixieing! have fun at the class.

breakfast jo said...

Loving seeing what your creative mind comes up with. jealous about the boot wearing which looks fab with everything you design. Not for the tropics sadly. I miss Melbs. Have fun at the craft show

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Aah ... to be a pixie shape ...
More like old eucalyptus tree with bumps & boobs here.
Loving the pics and happy poncing!

Fer said...

Oh I do love it when you ponce!

Katy Cameron said...

I'd happily lend you my oversized lumpen body in exchange for yours for a wee while, you know, so I can remember what my feet look like, and that sort of thing ;o)

Hollis said...

This is gorgeous!