Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Make it in May Skirt Sew-Along

When the lovely Ms CurlyPops announced that she was having a skirt sew-along in May, I immediately signed up, with great hopes for sewing up a skirty storm in preparation for winter.
 Since I forgot to take zips to Sewjourn (and, let's face it, was looking for any excuse to make a scrappy quilt...), the manifestation of the planned skirts has been somewhat delayed. 

The only skirts I've made this month have been samples for GJ's shop display....Ooops - in MY SIZE..... how did that happen?


I love a skirt with a yoke...it sits firmly without cutting in to the waist, if you know what I mean, and kind of holds in the belly a bit. It can be made short or long, in winter or summer fabrics and it can have a feature fabric panel, or not.  I'm a bit of a long-skirt-with-panel kind of girl. 

 And since the most common feedback I get about this pattern is "THIS IS MY BEST EVER INVISIBLE ZIP!" I thought to take a photo of mine. Nice zip - shame about the badly aligned fabric print...oops.
 And I made another one in a knee-length style... and goodness me, it fits Georgia (Ms GJ's, herself).  Fancy that.

 And I took a photo of the famously well-finished invisible zip from the inside.
You can have a closer look at these at GJ's while they have Parson Gray fabric in stock.  After that, they'll probably each be put to use in someone or other's wardrobe.  Waste-not-want-not and all that.

Check out Ms Curlypops blog to see the other skirts that people have made in May HERE.

12 comments:

Fer said...

Gorgeous! I'm a yoke type of girl too. :-)

Angie Clare said...

Beautiful! I'm inspired to stock up my wardrobe now.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

you made it, it's a skirt, it's still May. win!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, love it!

Karen said...

They look great Nikki - lovely fabric by Mr Amy Butler!!

rachelmp said...

Love it and must put that "must have" pattern in my stash too. Fabric is fantastic too. Maybe you could make samples in my size too :)

CurlyPops said...

That fabric is just beautiful! Thanks so much for joining in the sew along Nikki.

julie @ tractorgirl said...

Just started reading your blog again after a bit of a hiatus... so nice to come back to!

Love those skirts, and ESPECIALLY that print for Ms GJ's skirt. Now I hall have to hurry off to find your pattern :)

Thanks for sharing!

Leonie said...

Lovely! The fabric is beautiful too.

our shabby cottage said...

Gorgeous Nikki, I just bought the pattern from Cam, I love the invisible zip. I hope mine will look as good as yours.

Tracy VT said...

Lovely fabric choice! Isn't is strange how samples always seem to fit the creator? :)

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Very nice skirt!
Hmmm, if ever you get sick of making skirts that fit you, let me know and I'll shoot through my measurements...