Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Square

A recent sorting of the yarn stash has inspired a bit of a knit-a-thon in these parts.  It was decided that several birdies could be knocked senseless by the same stone, so to speak. 

THE BIRDIES:
  • I want to get to grips with gauge and tension and make the best of my very simple little knitting machine.  It does a mean stockingette.
  • I have a ridiculous amount of inherited yarn-stash, which is lovely but not too precious.
  • I have a lot of ideas about garments* based on squares and rectangles, which I'm itching to explore. 
  • I've recycled lots of clothes into a rag rag and can justify restocking the wardrobe with a whole heap more.
*I also have a lot of ideas for using recycled knits for bags and purses, in the case of unwearable experimentation.

THE STONE:
I've been knitting squares and rectangles with the yarn I have to hand and seeing what I can make from them. The pieces are just machine stitched together with a small zigzag.  It's all about instant gratification and the learning processes along the way.  Nothing to do with finish.
This one is a bit rough.... well, quite rough....with a different size rectangle used for each sleeve (lesson learned about writing notes on exactly how many stitches cast on and how many rows knit).  I like the general look and feel and think it'll be a wearable toile (muslin), in a kind of comfy-around-the-house sort of way.... once I fix up the back a bit....

If all else fails, it's a huge gauge swatch that will be recycled into purses. 

I have ideas for an improved version.

 
 The green scrunchy cotton became a Pattern Magic 3-inspired top.... as planned... only a little scrunchier than planned.
And the grey wrap got a little bit of a re-working at the back.
 Here I am, all grey-ghosty.... to show you the new silhouette....
 (And I'm off for a haircut tomorrow).
In other SQUARE news, I've been sewing squares together to make a new patchworky Petite Bag.

I had a bit of fun making this one.  The back made me smile...
 There will be more sewing here soon.  I went to the GJ's 25% off sale on Friday and bought more dress-lengths for little-girl dresses....
...And yes.  Quilt batting.

Fancy that.

13 comments:

Tania said...

See, there's 'square' and then there's TOTALLY ROCKIN' IT SQUARE. I see you and that knitting machine are dancing to one heck of a tune.

ellie said...

Oh my Oh my. I love those knitted tops. Such wonderfulness. Those rolly necks look too too good. Beautiful.
There really is nothing that YOU can't do with some string and a needle (yarn and a knitting machine in your case...). xx

A Peppermint Penguin said...

I'm a square square. You are Hip to be Square ;-)

That denim bag just slays me, I LOVE it.

sigh

Breakfast Jo said...

Ah, if only I had weather to allow me to wear knits! I love them all Nikki, it certainly is Hip to be Square. Then I think of washing ( trust me to be practical) and I think, "nice to look at, but cotton is king".....I can still admire :O) Oh and have fun with your GJ bargains ( jealous)...I feel a quilted jacket coming on??

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the new Alice inspired bag!

trudi@maudeandme said...

I've just been given a knitting machine. Whoo! If I hadn't seen all your super machine knitting I would not be so excited.I love these square ones, especially the rolled edging.

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Oh no! A friend and I are trekking across town to GJ's this Friday. Bummer - if only we had known of the 25% off last week. Aaaarrrgggh.
Still very excited though and loving the knits!

meli B said...

I really like your new Alice Bag. Missed the GJ's sale though.

Anonymous said...

Love the knitting awesome Keep it up Nikki

Anonymous said...

Judy B thinks that you are doing so well.I showed your blog to Annies sister Jayne and she loved the rolled collar, and wants me to knit one for her.!

sooz said...

WOW. I want to inspect those knits up close - they look really interesting. I am dead impressed with your inventiveness. Dead. Impressed.

Katherine said...

Wow. You've taken to knitting like a duck takes to water, Nikki. I'm inspired by your fresh and inventive take on wearables. So cool. I want to be like you when I grow up. :o)

Ooooh, the quilting bug has bitten you! hee hee Yay! More batting means more quilting... can't wait to see what you'll whip up next.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I have been away from my knitting machines for far too long. Am really interested in your creations. I'm staying tuned to see what else you come up with.