Thursday, April 26, 2012

Loose ends

  I may have mentioned before, that I'm a bit of a multi-tasker. 
Actually, I'm a LOT of a multi-tasker

At any given time, I'm running about ten express-trains of thought in a complex network of business, family and creativity-for-the-sake-of-it.  In between, there is always a backlog of mundane, keeping-up-with-things tasks to be done.... (and this is the bit where I'm not particularly gifted).
The making of samples for display and for classes is something that happens in little bursts, and every now and then I notice that every available surface is covered with my 'visual to-do lists' (read "piles of stuff").  Sometimes I have more beginnings than endings.
Cue: a rainy public holiday.  Add a football game I couldn't care less about, a friend who also didn't care about the football game, a couple of glasses of Pinot Gris, some sewing machines and my studio. 

Lets call it a mini sewing retreat, and let me tell you, it was lovely.
When everything is started, halfway or nearly-there, the finishings come thick and fast.... very satisfying sewing.

Great to see these two very different versions of the Panel Bag finished, at last.  Different colour schemes, different interfacings and different strap arrangements.... same pocket arrangement. (Interior shot is just for you, Ms P Penguin).
 All the bits that were used in the last couple of Zippers for Bags classes were put together into the one bag....
 ...which would have seemed like a good idea if I'd taken the time to find matching external zips. Ho hum.
 This bag of many pockets would be perfect for losing lipsticks, keys and mobile phones in. 
 And there were hats...
 A spot of Saffron Craig colour... inside and out.
 And this cutesy-wootsy insecty print....
 ...a few stylish spots....

And... oh look....

I went to GJ's today and came back with this Parson Gray sateen deco-weight fabric.  I'm thinking winter-weight A-Line Skirts.....

15 comments:

Tania said...

Can't speak. Jaw lying on floor. However, no doubt Ms P Penguin will find something hilarious to say (like she always does). No pressure Ms P Penguin...

Jennie said...

Nice everything, particularly those skirt fabrics. (Yeah, I like the one thing *added* to the to-do pile!)

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Oh thanks T, no pressure at all there - prrrfft (how do you spell a raspberry?)

I was going to say Nikki that I lubs and hates you in equal quantities for that post.

That red and black bag is just killing me with the awesomeness. And that whole starting a ton of things and leaving piles of, ahem, creativity, lying about the place.

I just hate you for having the energy to get it all done and so PERFECTLY.

Shocking Hocking said...

grgeous, gorgeous stiff you have about the place - love the bags and love the saffron hat...

Katy Cameron said...

Gotta love weekends with lots of finishes :o) I particularly like the bag to lose loads of things in... ;o)

Breakfast Jo said...

Ha! I am still stuck on the imagery of the perfect stitching around the zippers ( envy/admiration) I too have been getting into my piles of started not finished projects. Alas I have had to do them alone and sans wine, but satisfying all the same. I read ya ;OP xx Love ya work

April @ Sewing Novice said...

The red bag is amazing!!! I wish I could take a class but living in the US makes that a little difficult. :) So I will just keep following your blog.

ambette said...

Nikki, I love that last bag with the 2 zips on the outside! Do you have a patten for that one or is it just ad-hoc?

Hmm, I really need to eventually get round to doing your zips for bags class one day!

Nikki said...

The red and black bag is used for the zippers for bags class.

Get on the waiting list for that one, if you're interested - I'm yet to schedule another class and I doubt it'll be advertised before it fills up.

Tanya said...

That sounds like a very fun day. I just linked to this post in my blog post mentioning what good company I am in for having, ahem, 'a few' different projects on the go- I have nearly finished my 'large tote' which I love but now I am dreaming of a leather bag and have raided my mums leather stash.

Unknown said...

They all look great Nikki. I think the bag with the (non-matching) zippered pockets is particularly clever. I think I could use something like that for some of the kindergarten committee paperwork and stuff....

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Good grief - such a lot of impressive finished bits. In awe!
Made the trek across town with a friend to GJ's last week - FABULOUS!!! and we were naughty and had lunch at that little greek place over the road. Wonderful!
Now having to do a bit of creative Visa bill and fabric hiding.
Love your work!

Outback Craftaholic said...

Those bags are absolutely gorgeous Nikki! I love them in both colourways. Cheers, Tracy.

Karen said...

Oh I am in love with the Saffron Hat - amazing - as always.

Lynne said...

I met Saffron Craig at the recent craft fair in Sydney - she had your hat with her.