Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Local....

Fabric store, of course (...I can't remember the last time I was in a pub). I love GJ's Discount Fabrics in East Brunswick. And I think it's even better, now that all the patchwork fabrics are downstairs. The room is huge and light and full of colour. Gosh, there are even a few nice hat and bag samples.

GJ's were among the first stores to take on my patterns, way back in 2004, and have always supported me with lots of display space for samples.

They've always been good at keeping things fresh.... trying new things, turning over huge volumes of fabrics and always bringing in new ranges. (I love this Sherbet Pips range....it makes me want to make a quilt!!). They have great sales and bargain baskets (today I saw some Kaffe Fasset short ends for $8 per metre). Get on their mailing list!

And now they're the first to take on my first range of 'in store' bag hardware, to accompany the pattern range. So you can get all the bits to make the bag from the one place. No need to pay postage. We often talk about the great online craft community, but I love my local-real-life craft community, too. GJ's is a bit like the bar where everyone knows your name. A hub. I always bump into people I know, and the staff seem to know everyone. They focus on the real-life store and their customer service, and are constantly striving to improve both.

Even if this sounds like an infomercial/advertorial, it isn't. I just really love what they do and I appreciate their support.

Do you have a 'local'...? (And ...ummm...do you think they might like to try a bit of bag hardware..?).

PS. We've also begun wholesaling bulk quantities of hardware to makers of handcrafted bags and purses. If you'd like to order rings, frames etc in quantites of 50's and/or 100's, drop us a line and we can send you the relevant info. (Note: There are minimum order quantities).

17 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing the photos, I haven't been to GJ's since the switch-around, and they are far from being my local now. Sometimes I miss living in Brunswick.

Kristie said...

Sewco at Mt Gravatt in Brisbane have a large range of bag patterns and samples (not to mention loads of beautiful fabrics)... They have some bag hardware, but not everything I need. Your things would be a great addition to their store!

Unknown said...

The more I read your blog the more I want to come and live in Melbourne!
I can only dream of having a 'local' like that where I live...GJ's looks heavenly!

Do you have any stockists of your hardware in NSW yet(or planning any)?

Karen said...

Ooh I haven't been for ages either - looks like a good excuse for a trip!
I have Sherbet Pips - couldn't resist!

Gill @Frilly's Designs said...

Nikki,

I was in my local spruiking about you the other day, and told her to look up your blog and get on board.

Being in the country we miss out.
I told her about your book and how lovely it is and how everyone should have one.
Mine is extra special ;) because you spelt my name wrong and corrected it :)

My local is http://www.rivierapatchwork.com.au/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=1

Ky said...

We plan on stocking more of your products when we finally get our real shop. Plans are currently on hold due to high Aussie dollar and too many natural disasters this year. Until then we can always be found online with a small range of your products:)

Bethany said...

Who needs pubs? Fabric is my alcohol (and I never waken with regrets :)
I wish there was a delightful shop like this near me....er...maybe it's better there's not--I'd like to keep some of my paycheck :)

Anonymous said...

I love this store too - i only wish they would take a leaf out of the craft world blog book and rename the store. I feel "GJs discount fabric" doesnt repreent who they are. I sew know you could think of a better name for them! They need to get online too.
My idea of a great day is when Clegs have a $5 pattern sale and i find a great cloth at GJs followed by a lygon st (East Brunny) coffee. Kate

seabreezequilts said...

I have a local (Hetties Patch) and I go there at least once a week, for sewing class (well just sit and sew). I have let the owner know that you are wholesaling bag hardware, I am sure she will be in touch. Also raved about the book. They usually follow through on my lead.

Leanne said...

Nothing like a local quilt shop, to chat and play and do all things crafty. I work at Hetties in Adelaide I will mention your hardware to Lorraine.

W E L C O M E said...

Where can I find a store like that in LA? Looks so much FUN..

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki. I LOVE GJ's. As I'm in Melbourne each month I often pop in. In Ballarat I have a choice of three locals, plus the major chain stores, so am well catered for. Great they now have your hardware.

eeleng said...

Hi Nikki,

GJ's is definitely my local and favourite fabric store too. The staff are lovely and it is way too tempting to spend too much money there when I see the rows and rows of pretty fabric!

I was in there just yesterday too and saw a copy of your book on their counter. The book looks great and I'm certainly going to be picking it up in the very very near future!

Fer said...

Oh my... all that yummy fabric (and your stuff too), I'm drooling... ♥

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hello! Your local shop looks to me fabric-heaven! I can just dream to have ever local shop like that! How you can choose anything from all those beautiful fabrics!
I found you from Fiona and I'm happy to meet you and your lovely blog!
Sunny wishes from Greece! Teje

Gina said...

Hey Nikki, long time no read-da-blog! GJ's is of course my local too, and I was THRILLED to see the loot moved downstairs last week (not loving the trek upstairs with prams, kids etc).

So I notice your book is published. I'm so behind the 8-ball! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it... hurrah :)

Michelle said...

GJs was the place I bought my first ever of your patterns - the sling bag - about 5 years ago I think! But I've never made it :( Really should remedy that.