Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Boxes and sewing machines and turtles.... it's off to Northcote we go!

The studio in Brunswick is nearly all packed up. The new place is still empty. Tomorrow is the big Three-Men-and-Truck day.
Having spent eight and a half hours (!!!) waiting for the electricity guy to read the meter yesterday, with no electricity or furniture (but WITH the company of a 5-year-old!!), I've had a good look around the new digs. (Although slightly traumatised from the entrapment episode) I like it.....

I especially like the air conditioning and the dishwasher, but I'm also pretty happy with the amount of space and light and storage space. And I love that it's my very own place with my own front door.

It's a great improvement on the Brunswick studio.... but there are still lots of stairs. At least they're prettier.

This is my 3rd floor workroom, where I'll do my sewing and product development, and have the occasional sit-and-stitch on the balcony.

The office and showroom will have their very own (first) floor... (no balconies, but at least there are less stairs). You'll be able to come and shop during office hours there when we're settled in.

Until the new office is set up and functional, we'll still be operating the shop from the Brunswick office. The girls are doing a mighty job, working around the chaos.

While packing, I found an old friend. A blast from 1977 (I made her when I was 8 years old).

She's lost her goggly eyes but she's still kind-of cute.

Every patch brings back a memory of a garment made by my eldest sister who taught me to sew (and gave me all her scraps).

Her neck represents a turning point in my understanding of patternmaking.

I remember stitching the neck into the seam of the body and then realising that it was too floppy. I handstitched around the base of the neck to hold it into place and looked at the shapes of the individual pattern shapes. Something clicked in my brain....

So.... those lovely empty rooms up there will be full of boxes, dismantled furniture and sewing machines tomorrow. I haven't worked out where to put the turtle, but she'll be coming with me.

24 comments:

nikkishell said...

Good luck with the move. I hope it all goes smoothly.x

CurlyPops said...

Good luck with the move tomorrow. I think that finding your turtle must have been one of those serendipitous moments.
Everything is 'meant to be'!

Gillian R said...

How exciting!!!! Squeeeee!! Love all the light at the new place. Looking forward to seeing pics of it all set up. And as for the turtle... LOVE that you still have it and that you remember the fabrics. Just gorgeous. ♥

Kate said...

How exciting! The new place looks great!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Looks great & check out your talent as an 8 year old. I love seeing what my children come up with, nurture their talent so i can retire & they can take over!! Love Posie

Anonymous said...

Oh Nikki, oh how posh. Loved Brunswick too but this is so... fresh.
Kerry

Fiona said...

Hope all goes well with the move, Nikki! The new place looks great.

thornberry said...

Wow Nikki, it's really happening! So looking forward to seeing the new place and best of luck with the move.

Bree said...

What a beautiful way to end the year that has been 2010. Amazing space ready to filled with amazing adventures! ox
P.S Was a that a sleek little air-con unit I saw on the wall??? Heeeeello dry pits!

Judi said...

What fun remembering your roots with sewing. Looking forward to the new studio.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Hurray! Generally.

Booo. Long wait.

Good luck. Moving.

Booo. I can't come.

Oooh. Pretty turtle.

Melissa Lynn D said...

A balcony? I'm so jealous! That's one thing I've always wanted, but my husband seems to think a garage is more important. Where do men get such ideas? :)

Fiona - Pip'n' Milly Creations said...

Best of luck with settling in to the new digs. Hope it all goes smoothly!
Fabulous turtle!

Katherine said...

Nikki, I'm so happy for you! The new digs look great and I bet you're really looking forward to getting settled in. Best of luck with the move!

Love the patchwork turtle. She's a beauty.

Andi said...

LOVE that turtle and all that she represents.
Have a great moving day (Sunshine forecast .. YAY!)
Andi x

One Flew Over said...

Exciting times Nik! Enjoy the new space x

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

All the best for the move! It looks like a gorgeous place your going to!

I love the turtle, such a talent from such a young age!

ambette said...

Wow Nikki - I love the new place! Hope the move goes well and that everything gets settled soon!

Enjoy the new digs!

Fer said...

Wow, what a gorgeous space! It has a lovely feel to it, which should be good for crafty inspiration. :)

The turtle is so very sweet. You're right, it deserves a special place of it's own. ♥

Cass said...

Very exciting, can't wait to see it all set up. Looking forward to another Melbourne trip to see it in person

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

WOW!!! it looks great!! how exciting. good luck with the move. I lveo your tortise... i wonder looking back if you ever dared to dream how far that lvoe of sewing would take you! x

KathyB said...

Lovely new place Nikki, I'm sure you'll have a lot of joy working there. Good Luck with the move!!
Cheers
Kathy

discount sewing machines said...

they place looks really nice. very exciting. good luck with the new place :)

One Second Needle said...

What a cute turtle! Thanks for sharing this with us.